1.When asked about the ongoing uproar involving U.S. President Bill Clinton , most people say the affair involves a purely private matter . But many other people regard his actions as deplorable. I personally think the president committed impeachable offences.
2. When it comes to the increasing use of motor vehicles in Beijing , some people think that use should be limited . Others argue that the opposite is true . There is probably some truth to both arguments, but emission controls must be instituted regardless of the number of vehicles.
3. There is a general debate nowadays about the problem of itinerant workers . Those who object to the rising migrant population argue that increasing numbers lead to rising crime rates and harm social stability . They believe that strict limits should be placed on migrants entering China ' s cities . But people who favor the influx of the cheap labor force , on the other hand , maintain that migrants are needed to support the massive urban infrastructure construction program .
4. It is widely acknowledged that extensive deforestation contributed to heavy summer flooding . Experts argue that China must introduce a massive afforestation program . But I doubt whether afforestation alone will solve the problem .
5. Most people are of the opinion that wealth provides solutions to all problems. But in spite of the material benefits wealth provides , I believe one should abandon the pursuit of materialism and instead concentrate on the pursuit of happiness .
6. Many people believe that capital punishment deters crime. But although criminologists have conducted exhaustive research regarding the subject, little evidence exists to support the claim .
7. An increasing number of people are joining the " Information Age " via the Internet . In reaction to the phenomenon, some say the Internet has removed barriers and provided people with immediate access to the world . But do they realize that rapidly advancing information technology can also lead to intrusions of privacy ?
8. The use of guanxi is a widespread method for conducting business , but is it a wise one ? The method is now being challenged by more and more people .
9. These days we often hear about the widening gap between the rich and poor . Some argue the developed world has totally ignored the problem . But has it ? Close examination fails to bear out the argument .
10. We ' re often told that the world is tethering on the brink of destruction . But is this really the case ?
11. One of the pressing problems facing our nation ( China ) today is overcoming disparities in urban and rural income levels .
12. One of the most serious problems many people talk about centers on the lack of adequate housing space .
13. Perhaps the most dangerous phenomenon gripping the nation today is official corruption , which is pervasive in all levels of government .
14. Inflation is yet another new and bitter truth we must learn to face .
15. The rapid expansion of urban areas has in many cases encroached on valuable cultivatable land , and led to a general recognition that development must not be carried at the cost of agriculture . The government has attached greater importance to the problem and an increasing number of redundant projects are being terminated .